Monday, May 12, 2014

My Take on the 2014 NFL Draft



The 2014 NFL Draft was fun to watch, if you like seeing young prima donnas turning into multi-millionaires in real time on TV, but the NFL has turned it into a game show and the fanfare outweighs the actual event in a big way. If I see another mock draft, I will strangle Mel Kiper. I may strangle him and his 1975 hairstyle anyway. The biggest story at this year’s draft was Johnny Football and where was he going to land? When I saw that he ended up with the cursed Cleveland Browns, I laughed myself silly. This kid was maybe already doomed, but by getting drafted by the Browns, that sealed it. The Browns are the only original NFL team to never make it to the Super Bowl and every year they take a good college player and ruin him with bad coaching, bad food and of course, the curse. Can you remember Spurgeon Wynn or Tim Couch? Point made.

Then, the other big story surrounding the draft was when the St. Louis Rams drafted Michael Sam, a player who announced he was gay about a month or so ago. He said he probably would have been drafted in the 3rd round (instead of the 7th) but the NFL is a homophobic league. And from what I’ve been reading, I tend to agree. Helmets off to the Rams for stepping up and telling the world it’s okay to be gay and still kick ass on the gridiron!

No comments: